Today started with three hours sleep (so Chicago) trying to prepare for all my 'debts' being called in at work at the end of the interim audit and meetings with the partner and senior manager. The good news is I survived (even though that's like saying you won the game at half time) but it went pretty well and still have covered up how much more I have to do. I knew the last two weeks would be crazy because I've been the senior and manager on this job and it is the most responsibility I have ever had and in a new industry (telecom) which is wacky and I've been trying really hard (mostly because my Australian manager on my other job hates me and I don't want to get fired and have to leave London) haha. I really think I'm doing alright with everything stacked against me. It was really nice because at the end of today the 2nd and 3rd year guys on the job and who were on this job last year told me they thought I was doing a really good job and handling everything very well :) Too bad their review doesn't count for shit! I had a meeting with the partner, senior manager, financial controllers and financial directors which I had to lead while not understanding half of things on the agenda, but survived that, too.
By the way, today was another tube strike. After not getting to eat lunch consisting of half a sandwich until 3pm, I got to come home at a reasonable hour (7:30) and spend a normal evening with Jim and we went to the Sherlock Holmes Hotel down the street and watched the Barcelona vs Real Madrid football game. It was amazing! I'm serious, the best soccer game you could ever see (I've seen about 10 in my life but in Jim's opinion, too). Major rivals, in the rain, at least 6 yellow cards, fighting and 5-0 victory! So fun and I had a couple of glasses of wine to go along. The weirdest thing was a old man sat next to us and shared our table and he had a strong European face but the softest expression and he literally was the male version of Meema...it was so wierd. I spent most of the time choked up just wanting to cry looking at him. He was from Denmark but lived in London for 20 years and was the nicest man and was talking to us, but every time I looked over I saw her face, mostly the eyes, expression and half smile.
To top it off, booked a train ticket to see Bethany in France in March!!! :)
Love,
Michelle
No comments:
Post a Comment