Wednesday, 18 August 2010

Soccer and English pubs

English pubs are fantastic and, yes, I will continue to call it soccer.  We've watched three games in pubs in just our first week.  The pubs have old and unique settings; lots of character.  The bartenders have let us sample different English taps and you could just stay there for hours.  This Sunday we wanted to watch the Arsenal v. Liverpool game but the popular pubs were jam packed.  We found another little pub down the street in the less populated area.  It turned out that most of the 10 people in the pub were related/dated/owed/worked at the pub.  We stayed on our own for a bit until this awesome older man originally from Liverpool (sounds Irish to the untrained ear) started chatting with us.  He was so funny and thought it was great that we moved to London.  After we talked with him for a while he asked us how we felt about Obama and Bush.  Haha, I was wondering when that would get brought up here!  We ended up staying all afternoon, became friends with everyone, played pool with everyone and got invited to next Sunday's pot roast at the pub.  Definitely one of my favorite days so far.  The nicest people in the world and a true English experience.  I finally got a Sunday Funday.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Michelle, great blog! I have enjoyed reading about your adventures! It sounds like you guys are adjusting really well! How is work going? Miss you!

    ReplyDelete