If you had a list of the people least likely to blog I'd probably be on it, but this is going to be fun!
The big picture is that everything is going really well and I only anticipate them to get better as things calm down and we are less stressed with all the hassles of moving to a different country. The trip itself was easy! Visitors don't worry about it. 7 hours air time for a direct flight with movies, TV and two meals? I was so entertained. I was too excited to sleep so once we arrived in London I couldn't keep my eyes open to look at it...opps. And pretty sure we got a shout out from the pilot before landing "Michelle and Jim have a great trip to Europe"....we know people :)
PwC rocks in helping us move abroad. Our temporary place is "big", remodeled, with dishwasher, washer/dryer and a balcony viewing the London Eye (ferris wheel), top of House of Parliament and City of London buildings. NO compliants (well our shower was definitely not built for showering, they need Kohler here), but the towel warmer in the bathroom almost makes up for it.
Observations:
1) Elevators = lifts, restrooms = toilets and the toilet handles are push buttons on the walls
2) You can order mozzerella sticks at McDonalds.
3) We read in a London magazine that London is loud, rude and awful at rush hour. Not true. People are so helpful and the Tube is not packed wall to wall L style and everyone is QUIET on the streets. No Midwesterners here.
4) Pimms = some alcohol that's pretty tasty and when you order Pimm's it automatically comes mixed with lemonade.
5) London might be the answer to me finally learning my rights and lefts. It is written on the street at every cross walk: "Look Right".
6) Jim & Michelle method to looking at a crosswalk: Look in a complete circle and run!
7) I would NEVER attempt to drive here: no grid.
8) The largest Apple store in the world is in London.
9) Street signs are on buildings.
10) The famous London Eye lights up blue at night.
11) The Tube is pretty fantastic.
12) The apartment rental girl said one thing she's noticed about American's is they are shocked by how much smaller London flats are. We said, "oh not a worry for us, we lived in a shoebox in Chicago". "How big?" she asks. "About 600 sq ft.". Well... in London small equals around 300 and bigger equals around 500....
13) You can get a half liter of German beer at 5.3% for £2.55!! If you disregard the conversion factor and rent, cost of living is not bad in my book.
14) Exit signs are green.
Much more to come... :)
Michelle,
ReplyDeleteYou crack me up. I am going to enjoy reading this!
Mom
I am so excited you are in London! I am jealous you get a chance to live abroad with your lover. Have a fantastic time and I will tune in to your blog, for sure!
ReplyDelete4)Pimms is so delicious! That means it's summer!
ReplyDelete6)I couldn't cross the street when I was visiting Richard, I am really scared for when we move there.
Meesch, Can I just say that I'm super impressed that you are actually doing this. Seriously. I thought this was one of those things that you thought would be a good idea but never would get around to. I'm already loving reading it and have added it to my Google Reader so KEEP THE POSTS COMING!! So happy to hear you and Jim are having a great time already!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love the name of the blog.
ReplyDelete