Sunday, 3 October 2010

The Goat in Boots

That is the name of an English pub we passed this afternoon.  They have the most ridiculous names, and I love it.  I will continue to keep track of any good ones I see and put them on here.  The only other good one I can remember right now is The Cock and I took a picture of the sign for Sarah. 

We had ourselves a proper London weekend.  Friday night I worked late and met up with Jim and a couple of people from his school at the MGMT concert.  Awesome that we saw them again after just seeing them in Chicago at Lalla, but wasn't quite the same excitement and energy in the show as when we saw them before.  It was a cool, smaller, standing room only venue that was made to look like you were outside in a piazza surrounded by old European buildings and at the top of the really high ceiling there was a single England flag (white with red cross) flat on the ceiling and slightly waving.  That was surreal looking up at the flag with the music and lights going and thinking wow that's where I am.

Saturday = shopping!  London shopping is so fantastic.  I celebrated having our first full month paycheck and finally got some birthday presents. haha.  I can't wait to go when girls come to visit!  It's a good mix of stores you've never heard of and classics like Anthropologie :)  The whole area is PACKed with tourists, love it.

I've been really enjoying the food here; had two great Italian lunches and had Korean food for the first time.  We went out to dinner Saturday night for Korean with two people from my work and two girls from Canada and a guy from New York.  It is cool how everybody keeps meeting people through other people here not from work and everyone has recently arrived.  Stayed out and did some dancing at Bar Soho until I could barely walk anymore in my wedge boots.  How do people wear heels?! 

Sunday we started picking up an internet signal in our flat and booked hostels for next weekend in BARCELONA and booked a three day trip to Chamonix to go skiing in France in December!!  Very excited.  It will be a short and quick trip before the Vosses' arrive at Christmas.  We also went to a Chelsea pub by the Chelsea stadium in Fulham and watched the game.  Packed mostly male crowd cheering and really getting into the game and Jim's team won!  I'm on the fence on where my loyalties lie...Then we needed to figure out the buses because another Tube strike started!  The good thing was in waiting 20 minutes for the bus a belgium waffle and gelato shop caught our eye and it was all worth it.

Found out that there is some kind of Marquette alumni event in London in two weeks.  How cool is that?  Really looking forward to meeting others that are over here.  Got to talk to Beth and my Dad on the phone/Skype this weekend, too!  I like feeling connected and normal. 

Majorly procrasinated on the work I was supposed to finish this weekend and going to training for the next two days which may be a 1.5 hr bus ride with the tube strike tomorrow.  Training will be interesting because it's one I actually taught in Chicago, but they want us to take it again because there could be differences is some of the things they teach here compared to the US.  Wednesday starts a year-end audit, ahh hopefully the hours stay as wonderful as they have been :) 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment